The Lost Vikings (DOS)

Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4388)
Written on  :  Jun 05, 2000
read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

A terrific game, a classic indeed.

The Good

What can I possibly say about The Lost Vikings? Seems that anything said might diminish from the splendour of this game. To say that it's a classic defeats the definition of "understatement": everyone knows this game, everyone loves it. Even me. 'nuff said.

The Lost Vikings is clearly Amiga in origin: the graphics make up for their lack of colour depth with amazing detail and beauty, which only goes to show how good hand-drawn graphics can be (for an even better example see Defender of the Crown, although it's PC version pales visually in comparison with the Amiga version). Audio-wise, The Lost Vikings doesn't disappoint either, with terrific sound and music directly taken from the original. Gameplay wise The Lost Vikings is a fairly challenging platform game with many twists, and I can't help but love the ridiculousness of the characters :-)

The Bad

I'm not very good at puzzle games, nor do I really like them. Fortunately though, The Lost Vikings makes up in other areas.

Other than this, I see no flaw in the game - it's as perfect as it gets, and deserves its stature as a genuine classic.

The Bottom Line

Bottom line? Get it, play it, love it.