🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Lure of the Temptress > GOG download - no sound

Jeanne (75944) on 5/15/2011 10:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm new to GOG.com, and am playing my 1st downloaded game - Lure of the Temptress - DOS. The executable seems to be SCUMM.

Anyway, I can get the sound to work. Any suggestions?

Klaster_1 (57612) on 5/16/2011 2:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Use SCUMMVM. By the way, Lure of the Temptress is long time freeware and available to download from Revolution's website, as well as Beneath a Steel Sky.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/16/2011 2:30 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The GOG.com version does use ScummVM. On Jeanne's system there seems to be a problem with the standard configuration though. Also, Lure is free on GOG.com as well (BASS too), it's simply the ScummVM interpreter + the game data files, packed into an installer. They give these games away mainly so members can try out the GOG site, downloads and installations without having to purchase anything ;)

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/16/2011 2:28 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

In the directory where you installed the game, there is a subdirectory with the ScummVM interpreter. Run scummvm.exe on its own and enter the Options menu. There are some audio and MIDI options to play around there, maybe you can find something to make it work. You have to start the game from the ScummVM interface then though, otherwise it will just use GOG's default configuration file again.

If I remember correctly Lure uses just some MIDI notes for sound effects. So if you hear nothing at all, my guess would be that ScummVM tries to use the standard MIDI synthesizer provided by Windows, and that one doesn't work for some reason.

Edit: it sounds stupid, but make sure there really isn't any sound and it's not just a volume problem. I have just tried it, the default is in fact the Windows MIDI Synthesizer which on my system is incredibly quiet. I have to turn up my speakers to 2-3 times the normal level to hear anything.

Jeanne (75944) on 5/24/2011 1:05 PM · Permalink · Report

You are probably right about the volume. But, I uninstalled it for now. Lost interest.