The Lurking Horror (DOS)

Written by  :  David Ledgard (63)
Written on  :  Feb 16, 2005
read more reviews by David Ledgard

Summary

Horror Text Adventure set in ‘M.I.T.’

The Good

You start the game in the computer center furiously working on an assignment. Your only companion is a hacker. You must figure out a way to get his keys which open all the doors in the college. You can take the elevator or stairs out of the computer center and begin to explore the vast expanses of the college.

One place you can visit is dead storage where all the old science equipment is kept. Another is the infinite corridor (based on a very long corridor in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where the games implementers studied). You must work out how to get past a cleaner with a cleaning machine. A ‘lurker’ also hangs about. Down the corridor you pass an office labeled ‘Department of Alchemy’ (the ancient study of making gold out of base metals which lead to chemistry). There is also a professor’s office that you work out how to enter with a mysterious pentagon drawn on its floor.

Sorry that’s about all I can remember, it was a long time ago. I did finish the game, but had to cheat using invisiclues a booklet with a magic pen that gradually revealed more and more specific clues.

The Bad

Not one of there best games. They did say they wanted to make it longer but were constrained by disk space, 330Kbytes for the parser and game I think.

The Bottom Line

Mildly interesting.