Maniac Mansion (DOS)

Written by  :  C W (6)
Written on  :  Dec 28, 2000
read more reviews by C W

Summary

Classic, fun, what more do you want?

The Good

This game has humour. Sure, it's bad, but that's what makes it so good. It's like a B movie, except you control it. The puzzles won't make your brain explode, and most people who don't like it haven't given it enough time, most haven't even completed it. The story is off the wall, think about it, a purple slimey meteor hypnotizing a family (all of them have the name "Ed" in their first names somewhere, cute), and having the "insane" Dr. Fred suck the brains out of teenagers one at a time. All the characters are different, save razor and syd, but you can do 100s of things in this game. The main plot of this game has countless sub plots, and depending on the characters you choose, the game will end differently EVERY TIME!

The Bad

The crappy reviews it got. This game is OLD! You can't compare a game like maniac mansion to quake! Boo to all you who voted low for this game (except Mat, he's ok). This game was made in 1988!!! Boo hoo, poor graphics. I'll tell you what, think back to 1988 (well, most of you quake players were in kindergarten). 16 colours was a big thing. Maybe it wasn't lifelike, but in 12 years, quake will seem pretty fake too.

The Bottom Line

This game is a must play for all people with an IQ above 09. It exercises your mind, and the puzzles actually use real life items, unlike half-life, which in my opinion had some of the worst puzzles I've ever had the misfortune of stumbling upon.

You are a band of teenagers, Dave, and two other friends, there is a choice of 7. Dave's Girlfriend Sandy has been kidnapped by Dr. Fred, who is going to suck her brains out. To get through this game, you have to solve puzzles galore, and puzzles is a good word because like a puzzle, all the pieces fit together in the end and you go "OH! I GET IT!" I'll just say that every move you make will affect you in the end.

If you like sci-fi/b side movies, and can keep an open mind, don't mind 1988 graphics, I would strongly suggest getting it.