How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Maniac Mansion (DOS)

Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4388)
Written on  :  Jan 11, 2000

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

A classic game, whose sequel I find a lot more appealing.

The Good

Maniac Mansion is a classic in all respects. I may not really like it, but I feel compelled to appreciate the amount of work which went into making a game to compete with adventure mammoth Sierra On-Line.

The graphics are decent, if nothing more. The story is interesting and well-implemented, the control system is intuitive and the scripting system is something of a legend - SCUMM has become the veritable core of all future LucasArts adventure games.

The Bad

It's boring! I don't know what it is that makes me twitch every time I play this game, but I never played it for more than 20 minutes, not to mention complete it. I don't know why, really don't, but this game bores the hell out of me. The graphics are minimalistic and the music/sound effects (or more precisely, lack thereof) don't add to the general atmosphere of the game. Also, from what I hear the game is extremely difficult - a couple of friends of mine told me it took them several weeks to complete it.

Either way, I prefer the amazing sequel The Day of the Tentacle every day of the week.

The Bottom Line

A classic game I don't really like, but can appreciate. Go play its sequel - you'll love it.