Mean Streets (DOS)

Written by  :  Toka (16)
Written on  :  Mar 20, 2001
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Toka

Summary

An absolute classic.

The Good

The immersion. I have never been drawn into a game in the way I was with this one. I kept pages and pages of detailed notes, and would look over them (I even found myself talking to them) while I was flying from one location to the next. Speaking of flying, I'm sure many disliked this feature in the game. However, it added greatly to the realism, since you couldn't just "warp" from one location to the next. After returning from a far-off area, I would think "it's good to be home." How many games incite this emotion? Also, this game had graphics and sound (speech!) WAY before many others, and you DIDN'T need a sound card! Also, this was the first game I beat 100% on my own...no hints, no walkthroughs, nothing. Heck, even game reviews tend to reveal at least one puzzle or plot point, but I never even read a review. I had no idea what I was getting into, and loved every minute of it. By far the best of the Tex Murphy games.

The Bad

The action/shooting sequences got to be tedious, since they weren't really difficult, and were just "something you had to do". Other than that, nothing.

The Bottom Line

Virtual Reality before the term was invented. Story over glitz (though there was some of that, too). Yet another underrated classic.