Might and Magic: World of Xeen (DOS)

Written by  :  Lord Matthias (18)
Written on  :  Apr 11, 2002
Rating  :  2.86 Stars2.86 Stars2.86 Stars2.86 Stars2.86 Stars

read more reviews by Lord Matthias

Summary

Great old-fashioned RPG; poor movement system though.

The Good

This game is a fairly good value because it wraps two games, Clouds of Xeen and The Darkside of Xeen, seamlessly into one game. After completing these two, a third and final endgame is available. I love the graphics, which are the same as in the games I played on my 3.1 when I was growing up. The combat sytem is turn-based, which is a definite positive attribute for me. Additionally, the game world seems fairly large, consisting of many cities, dungeons, and terrains. You can see monsters ahead of you before you fight them, which is a better system than in The Bard's Tale games.

The Bad

One major setback to this game is the movement system. You can only move through one square of the map at a time, and turn only in 90 degree movements. You can get used to this though if you play long enough, but the movement in the Ultima Underworld games is better. Also, the game (being about ten years old) runs rather slowly one my newer system with lots of lag. Other than that, there are no real disappointments in this game.

The Bottom Line

This is a great old-fashioned rpg, but would probably not appeal to some gamers who are used to better graphics and fluid movement. For the true rpg fan like me, this title is a gem.