Millennium: Return to Earth (DOS)

Written by  :  Paul Kostrzewa (13)
Written on  :  Mar 02, 2004

read more reviews by Paul Kostrzewa

Summary

A "management game" I actually enjoyed

The Good

This game has a simple interface, excellent graphics (for the time), an engaging story, and a fair amount of gameplay in it.

The Bad

I stink at strategy/ management games, clear and simple (ask me about my one time playing Age of Empires). I am so inept at managing resources that the game made my shortcomings painfully obvious. If you don't enjoy building, researching, exploring, colonizing, re-building, shifting resources, etc. the you may get a headache after while... although the cool sci-fi setting and story offsets this to a degree.

The Bottom Line

I bought this game on a whim back in the good old DOS days when autoexec.bat and config.sys meant something and you spent a lot of time cursing the stupid 640Kb memory cap. That being said, this is a seriously fun, although time consuming, management type game. Your basic "microcosmic god" game. Ever heard the saying, "if it's meant to be, it's up to me?" well, put that saying in a space setting and get cracking because you're going to have a lot of work to do to keep things afloat. Great setting, excellent graphics, simple interface, and basically a fun game.