Oubliette (DOS)

Oubliette DOS Title screen

MISSING COVER

3.5
Written by  :  Kevin Otto (48)
Written on  :  May 07, 2001
read more reviews by Kevin Otto

Summary

Excellent game

The Good

I like the fact that I can have up to 16 characters in the tavern and select which of them (up to 6) to take on my next dungeon romp. I like the spellcasting (having to type the spell words like "KOMINATOK" instead of pointing and clicking in a spellbook). The list of items in this game is impressive. And the game's concept of having the characters age (and yes, it's very easy for a character to age enough to die of old age) is interesting. I think that the author of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol got some of his ideas from Oubliette.

The Bad

The interface is somewhat lacking. For example, if the user presses an invalid key during a battle, the game just skips the combat options for the current character and goes to the next. In addition, the game does not update the screen after a character casts a spell or is wounded (you have to press a certain key to refresh unless you wait until the end of the battle).

The Bottom Line

This game is really fun if you don't require flashy graphics (the game has two executables, one that draws the dungeon in a first-person view using early Wizardry-style monochrome graphics and one, my preference, that draws the dungeon from a bird's-eye view and facilitates mapmaking). If you like a good old-fashioned dungeon romp with the only story being a couple of pages of the manual, and especially if you are a fan of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol or roguelike games, then you will love Oubliette.