Oubliette (DOS)

Oubliette DOS Title screen

MISSING COVER

Setting
Written by  :  Jeremy Beal (3)
Written on  :  Aug 21, 2001
read more reviews by Jeremy Beal

Summary

Excellent game

The Good

I loved this game when it first came out in 1983. I spent a few years and never won the game. I loved watching my various characters grow stronger and stronger that allowed me to move to the next dungeon levels. I did not get past the 3rd level because I keep having to go back and heal my characters.

The interface is simple and easy to use. This is a plus!

I was recently (Aug 2001) searching for this game and did not know what the name was. I found site after 30 hours of searching and luckily it is here. This is a rare game that was the starting point of all other RPG games back in the 1980's. This game is satisfying when it comes to watching your characters grow and utilizing new or different weapons, and spells.

AWESOME GAME!!

The Bad

Compare to other Games, it is not very graphical. The game play outweighs the graphical issue.

The Bottom Line

This game allows you to create 16 different characters varying Fighters, Paladins, Mage, Priests, Ninja, Samauri, and Thiefs coming from different kinds of beings such as humans, ogre, dwarfs, elves and many others.

You can only take with you 1 to 6 characters into the dungeon.

The characters grow and increase levels and hitpoints and decrease AC as you grow. Lots of spells, weapons, shields, jewlery and such to be found and used within the dungeons.

When I played this back in the 1980's, I did not get very far because the game was harder to kill when moving to the next level, and the characters had to be strong to match the enemies. The most difficult was finding the portals to the next level. I literally made a map of the rooms and what had been touched or not. This way so I wont forget. Well, that was back then, now I just enjoy watching the characters grow and fight. it is a cool Dungeons and Dragons game.

Must run in win95/98 or off of ms-dos 6.22 and lower. (I have the game on a ms-dos 6.22 dos disk that I use. I power off my win2000 computer and put the disk in, then power up and start the game from the dos disk)

EXCELLENT GAME!! I wouldn't trade it for anything else.