The Pandora Directive (DOS)

Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1152)
Written on  :  Jan 15, 2002

read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

The Tex Murphy series is hands down the best drama on PC

The Good

Unlike many other adventure games the plot and script of the game are VERY polished. The Tex series of games if one of the few adventures that focus on storyline rather than graphics or something else. From and adults point of view this could easily be transported to book form (and it was) or TV or even feature film. The story is that strong.

While this game did not progress much in terms of method or interface the game did improve in many categories.

1. Longer more in-depth storyline.
I would have thought after playing Under a Killing Moon that this would not be possible but it is! Pandora just pulls you in and touches more on your heart and emotions than UAKM.

2.Multiple Paths
I think that there were 3 different paths that you could take resulting in 12 different endings! You could choose to be the "good" Tex and follow the straight and narrow. You could be the "bad" Tex and be totally self-centered and throw friendships and love to fire. Or you could just choose the middle path. Part bad Tex part good Tex.

3.Hint Files
I have said this time and time again. How unselfish and cool of Chris Jones and the foks at Access to not charge me for hints. But not just that, the game also keeps track of where and what I have done. So If I have completed all there is to know about a place or person it reflects that in the hint system. Thus I dont have to waste time looking for the right tip, and can limit my exposure to other info.

4.Excellent Acting
As with all Tex games the acting talent is first rate. No doubt about it NO ONE DOES IT BETTER!

The Bad

Part of the problem with multiple paths is that sometimes it can be hard to find where you went wrong. For instance if you want the really good ending you have to be careful in your dealings. (but I can handle that) Also the game engine didnt change between UAKM and Pandora. Overall though that really isnt that bad of a thing.

The Bottom Line

Please if you are looking for something of substance just give Tex a try. Its hands down the best drama you can find on a PC!