Less than 200 arcade games needed to reach our current MobyGoal of 1,500 documented arcade titles!

The Perfect General (DOS)

Written by  :  HAVVOCC (6)
Written on  :  Feb 18, 2002
Rating  :  4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars
read more reviews by HAVVOCC

Summary

Great Tactical-Level Ground Combat Simulations

The Good

I've been playing Perfect General since 1995, and I never grow tired of it! Since I was 10 years old, I'd been playing Avalon Hill's Panzer Leader board game. Obviously, QQP "borrowed" many of the concepts of PL for PG, making some improvements possible only in computerized simulations.

Panzer Leader's unit pieces were cumbersome and difficult to manage, especially in the larger scenarios. An inadvertent bump of the table would result in uncorrectable messes. Lines-Of-Site and unit fire effectiveness were time consuming to determine. While rules for "spotting" units prevented concealed units from being fired upon, their positions were never really secret.

My favorite features of Perfect General are as follows: 1. Ease of game play & control. I never read the instructions. 2. Surprise factor of hidden enemy units option in single-player or modem play modes. 3. Ability of AI to emulate new tactics. (The game seems to learn, utilizing my tricks.) 4. Realistic terrain effects on LOS, movement & combat effectiveness. 5. Advanced Campaign Game scenarios. 6. Ability to manipulate player handicap settings.

The Bad

My criticisms of Perfect General are: 1. Ineffectiveness of infantry type units, especially in attacks. 2. Failure of AI to use battlefield conditions to adjust strategy. (Computer player will continue to attack fortified positions, ignoring weak points, long after any chance for victory. 3. Lack of consideration of naval & air power, especially in beach invasion scenarios. 4. Absence of important ground unit types, including; mortars, anti-tank guns, field guns, tank-destroyers, trucks & jeeps. 5. Inability of engineer units to construct roadblocks, remove wreckage & repair artillery damage to roads. 6. Scenario inability to allow different unit type selections at different points of the map. (For example: Utah Beach & Arnhem scenarios should only allow infantry type units in airborne placements, while allowing all units in others. 7. Mismatch of scenario design in relation to scale. (For example: Sicily scenario allows heavy tank units to fire 1/4 of the way across the island, while artillery ranges almost 1/2.) 8. MY MOST URGENT & IMMEDIATE COMPLAINT, however, is that since getting my Pentium computer, the game no longer functions properly! When scrolling up using the main display screen, a mirror image of the top line repeats itself, not allowing me to monitor the map during friendly or enemy movement phases.

The Bottom Line

Challenging.

GREAT FUN!!!!