Piranha (DOS)

4.2
Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4380)
Written on  :  Feb 05, 2000

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

A really cool game!

The Good

Ah, I like this one. Seriously! I like Asteroids clones. Maybe because I'm very good at them... :-)

Anyway, this game really is great - excellent graphics, good (configurable! there's a concept) controls, cute levels, an insanely vast array of monsters, weapon and speed upgrades, all sorts of bonus - what more can a person ask for? Also, the music is initially excellent. The menu and music for the first 10 levels are done with great talent by Prism / EMF, and the next 10 levels are accompanied by a great piece of digital music by Zodiak.

The Bad

Unfortunately, the music becomes really horrible after level 20 and turns into a techno-trance sort of horrendous noise. Too bad, especially considering the first few pieces.

The game is TOO LONG and gets repetitive after a while; they should've cut it in half. I mean it. Also, an undeniably stupid bug occasionally causes the game to enter an endless attack sequence in stage 53ish, which is honestly amazingly annoying.

And it's too damn easy!

The Bottom Line

A really good Asteroides clones, whose polished gameplay is only marred by really bad music starting in the 20th level.