Police Quest 2: The Vengeance (DOS)

Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1152)
Written on  :  Oct 04, 2001
read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

Another Sierra Classic

The Good

I purchased this game the day I got my first true PC, it was a 286 Tandy TL2. One my favorite memories of this game was the first time I booted up a game on that system I saw the opening to this title.

Ok now that we have walked down memory lane lets discuss why this is a classic! First of all the graphics were first rate for its time. Sierra's use and blending of colors and graphics were always great and in Police Quest it shows. Second Sierra during this time really knew how to weave a story. The way the story progresses is just right. I never felt that it dragged or got boring. I was always glued to the screen to find out what would happen next. Third there were some heart stopping moments when you thought that sonny's life might end. (and sometimes it did too!)

Sound was ok, but back then you couldn’t ask for much. and generally there weren’t any stupid or dumb moments in the game. It all felt real or as real as a PC game gets. ..... One last thing, I really felt as if I was a cop after playing PQ2. I had to do things just right or of course the game would tell me otherwise .

The Bad

Well at one moment of the game you have to do some scuba diving. Some of the objects are almost impossible to see. While the scene is fun and enjoyable it took an experienced PQ2 player to help me though that part. Also the game could be a tad rigid. If you didn’t do things just right you couldn’t even get into your car. Now I know cops don’t do all of those things every time they get into a squad car. Come on!

The Bottom Line

One of the top games in Sierra's past.