Quake (DOS)

Mature
Written by  :  Mr. Me (36)
Written on  :  Sep 26, 2003

read more reviews by Mr. Me

Summary

It's okay...but overrated...

The Good

Quake was the big thing from the people at id Software who brought you Doom, a great, landmark FPS...and Quake was obviously a huge leap in the graphics department, but there was a downside...more on that later. One of the enemies, the Shambler, was awesome and very memorable, and the lightning gun and grenade launcher were cool too.

Oh, and by the way, gibs made their debut in Quake, too :)

The Bad

It was supposed to be a GAME?!

Okay, but seriously, the game itself was just plain BORING, and more of a technology demo than anything else. Yes, the graphics were all "true 3d", "completely polygons", but "how" are you showing off your graphics by making everything a crappy brown shade? Seriously, from far way, its hard to tell most of the enemies apart from each other, or even apart from the background! And what were they thinking when they designed that oh-so-lame rocket launcher???

Don't get me wrong, Quake isn't actually a bad game, its multiplayer was a huge advancement. But overall, it was mediocre...especially, in my opinion, when compared to its competitor, Duke Nukem 3d.

The Bottom Line

Quake deserves to be mentioned in gaming history because of the advancements it made to first person shooters everywhere, but if you're just a gamer looking to have fun, I'd recommend playing the sequel, Quake 2. THAT is the great game that THIS one should have been.