Quest for Glory I: So You Want To Be A Hero (DOS)

Written by  :  Depth Lord (943)
Written on  :  Feb 23, 2005
read more reviews by Depth Lord

Summary

The village of Spielburg needs a hero

The Good

The Coles did an excellent job remaking Quest for glory 1, but let's talk about the game itself, the combination of RPG and adventure elements it's great, a shame it has been used so much. Some of the music pieces in the game are brilliant, i really like the Erana's Peace theme, it's very emotive and calming. The combat system is real good, very efficient and easy to get used to it.

The Bad

The quests in my opinion are very short and don't give enough sense of adventure, the only one i liked was the Brigand's one, that's a quest in my opinion. Something very silly and atmosphere-killing was the freaky magic-room by the end, i hated it, and if you are running your game in Windows you will hate it even more (you know about those timing problems in most sierra games) Also, being a remake, the Coles could have worked some more in making the game longer and adding some more new elements, it would have done the game a big favour.

The Bottom Line

The birth of a great saga, not my favourite of the 5 sequels but it's ok, if you would like to get into RPG's this game is a great starting point.