New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Red Storm Rising (DOS)

3.5
Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1152)
Written on  :  Jan 04, 2001

read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

#7 in my Hall of Fame

The Good

If I was to rate my best games by how many hours spent playing, the only games that could beat this title would be Civ I and Civ II !!! However if you look at the game now it is very dated but when it came out this was so far above anything out there. While most kids were jumping mario around I was making the world safe for democracy. In very very very very few games has the gameplay been simple and easy to learn but yet still capture your attention. This game could do that in a heart beat. It only took a few moments to get the feel for how things worked and when you did there was so much you could learn and do. This game is one of the reasons why I often think back to the old days of PC gaming and smile. :-)

The Bad

It ended.

The Bottom Line

Unfortunately I can not recommend this great game to just anyone. You have to love gaming to play this title. You have to understand what it felt like to only have Pac Man as a option when you wanted to play a game. You have to feel the pain as you realize that that new game on the shelf that you want so badly will only work on a 486 and you have a tandy 286. Yes you have to really love old dusty games to gather the true beauty........ Who am I kidding just play it :-)