Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (DOS)

Written by  :  jossiejojo (41)
Written on  :  Sep 21, 2005
read more reviews by jossiejojo

Summary

Not for swinging, hip, gender-benders, but not bad

The Good

There's lots to like in this game. It's quite short, and the puzzles are easy, and logical, so if you play it with a walkthrough you can complete it at a single sitting (if, like me, that's the way you like to play adventure games). The last 'puzzle', which involved filling an underground city with seawater was very cool.

The Bad

Two things: the plot seemed lop-sided. The zany title and cover art suggested a racy, comic adventure involving lots of scantily clad women and sexual shenanigans. It doesn't. In fact the gender-bender thing is irrelevant, to the point where it just seems like a sales gimmick, and far from being comical the overall feel of the game is rather serious and involves rescuing a vase (yawn).

Of course as a red-blooded male I'd have liked to have seen Microprose develop the 'landing on a planet of sex-starved women' plot angle a little more, but perhaps that was too obvious, which is why they just stuck to rescuing the vase (yawn).

The other thing was the music: wailing theremin-type atonal sci-fi cliche.

The Bottom Line

Don't get me wrong I liked this game. It is pleasing and enjoyable for all its flaws, and I'll probably play it again sometime.