Rise of the Triad: Dark War (DOS)

Mature
Written by  :  Satoshi Kunsai (1817)
Written on  :  Jun 05, 2002

read more reviews by Satoshi Kunsai

Summary

*BOOOOOM!!!!* Let's see...here's an arm...there's a finger...oh, is this your spleen? :)

The Good

There's one thing ROTT is famous for: GORE! Tons of it! Buckets of blood and gore! There's also highly destructive weaponry! In short: the sadists will LOVE this game!

Anyway, ROTT has one simple goal: as a member of a task force called the HUNT (get it?), it's your job to stop a mad cult led by El Oscuro (The Dark) from destroying the world with nuclear warfare and black magic. For that task, you get a ton of highly destructive toys to use on them. Drunk missiles, heat seekers, firebombs, the FLAMEWALL!! (my favorite!), and more weapons are at your disposal. And for even more fun, there's whole squadrons of enemies to blast, and it's just too cool to shoot a firebomb into a crowded room and see random body parts go flying everywhere immediately afterward! It's all about the raw white-knuckle blasting, I tell ya!

Great graphics (albeit a little dark and dingy, though), LOUD as hell explosions and other sound effects, and some excellent music round out the whole package. And let's not also forget the wacky sense of humor this game can have. I mean, where else do you see a roving wall intentionally escape a stage and yell "I'm FREE!!" just before the game crashes? ^_^ Or grab a God Mode Power-Up and start making a bunch of goofy moaning noises for 30 seconds? Or even funnier...Dog Mode? Woof woof!

The Bad

Doesn't run in Windows 2000...damn!! >_<

The Bottom Line

DOOM may have been gory and violent in its own right, but the sheer gore and violence factors here will make DOOM look like My Little Pony...

o_@....THAT was a scary thought...eep!