Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon (DOS)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19671)
Written on  :  May 06, 2003
read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

A rare example of how hard it is being a Capitalist! Truly worthy of being called a Sim Legend!

The Good

Well, I honestly wasn't that interested of this game what it happened to pass into my hands from a fellow gaming pal. Just another sim. Same old same old.

Boy, was I wrong!

I sweat more playing this game, than playing shooter games! If there was one game without doubt that needs cause for strategy and far planning, THIS would be that game. Making money is one thing, but maintaining it is another...

This game offers an Artificial Intelligence opponents that just won't quit! And they made it in away that they weren't irritating either...just tough enough for it to be still a joyable challenge. But not without hard work of course!

The game is about being the #1 Railroad company in the region. This is can be done by either 2 ways: First, by ambitiously expanding your railroad company by building railroads from town to town. Second, by geniusly playing your luck and skill through the stock market, ultimately guarding your behind from being taken over by force or on the otherhand conducting hostile take-overs on competiting railroad companies.

From those two descriptions above, you will learn from this game that one skill alone isn't enough to survive in the Capitalist world of unforgiving competition. This is also the first game that taught me about the Stock Market. Some information of which was more invaluable than what they taught me at Law School!

This game isn't just about creating railroads. This game in a mirco point of view is also about running a country! Railroads companies need passengers and goods that pay hard cash for ticket sales. Waiting around for a town to grow wouldn't pay your back your investors any time soon, and the bank's interests are already killing you slowly. Instead of waiting, develop the town! Create factories, advertise and help the city grow! The greater it grows, the more passengers there are, and the more products it needs!

One of the greatest challenges offered by this game is the Railroad War! (There's a particular name for it but me forgots!) A railroad war occurs when you build a track to your opponent (vice verca), indicating control over a town where that rail road is closest to. When this happens, each railroad company has to deliver as many passengers and products to and from that town. The more exchange that occurs, the town hall may consider to vote in your favor (or against you if you don't deliver enought). South Africa (or was it America?) was my favorite region to play.

Basically, this game teaches you to think fast and play seriously. In addition, offering invaluable historical information of past railroad tycoons and developement of railroads in various companies.

The Bad

Hmm..., I don't recall very well about what I didn't like about the game. The only think worth noting is that the stock market can be very frustraiting. That probably due to my lack of skill...not the game itself.

The Bottom Line

In every sense of the word: A Railroad Tycoon. A sim at its best!