🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > SimIsle: Missions in the Rainforest > evidence for Win 3.x version?

eXo (346) on 8/21/2014 2:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Every single cover and cd listed here either says DOS or Win 95 & DOS. There is no reference to a 3.x compatible version on any of the boxes.

Has anyone else turned up evidence that a Win 3.x version exists?

Google search just turns up mobygames, wikipedia, and a few other sites which all seem to have copy & pasted from each other. But there are no images of a game box, cd, or even screenshot of the game running on a 3.x machine. I am tempted to file a platform correction, but I wanted to get outside input first and not just assume that because I can't find it, that it doesn't exist.

Rwolf (22823) on 8/21/2014 11:44 PM · Permalink · Report

The unique developer credits for the Win3.x version were provided by a contributor with the same name as the (one) listed developer. (Ask the source?)

There is also a screenshot by another contributor for the Win3.x version, it seems to run in an emulator, the games windowed top bars looks odd, not Win95 or DOS, what I can recognize.

Rola (8483) on 8/22/2014 12:47 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rwolf wrote--]not Win95 or DOS, what I can recognize.[/Q --end Rwolf wrote--] WinXP

Rwolf (22823) on 9/1/2014 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, well I guessed the main environment in the screenshot was XP, based on the bottom bar, but the bars on top of the game windows were not typical for XP, so it could have been something else. (The contributor would know for sure).

GlowingInferno on 10/3/2014 7:05 PM · Permalink · Report

LOL, I have 2 copies of this game in front of me. That is Windows 98. I have the "Reference Card" from the SIM Mania Pack right here.

DOS 5.0 or higher, Windows 95/98, Macintosh

CD-ROM performance problems says to make sure you're using a 32-bit native Windows 95/98 driver to control your CD-ROM drive.

However, I thought I had played these 95/98 games since I had those OS. I likely played on Windows 2000. There is a small chance I played it or SimCity on 32-bit Vista Home Basic before the DVD-ROM drivers were updated.

Terok Nor (42005) on 8/23/2014 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I found some more evidence that puts the existence of a 3.1 highly in doubt:

A Usenet message from a Maxis employee from January 1996: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.sys.mac.games.strategic/8SfWgGgJ6vI/_9pfRkvY-ecJ - mentioning that the game is DOS only, with Mac and Win95 versions in progress.

And EA's tech support site for the game, archived from 1999: https://web.archive.org/web/19990221015303/http://www.ea.com/techsupp/maxis/isle_pc.htm - only mentioning DOS and Win95.

If no one objects, I will remove 3.x.

Terok Nor (42005) on 8/25/2014 3:06 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, it's gone. I also changed Mac & Win releases to 1996 since they can't have been released earlier according to that Usenet post.

eXo (346) on 8/26/2014 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

awesome. For some reason my notes stated there was a german box cover of the game that referenced 3.1, but on second check I can not locate this cover anywhere - so i ay have gotten my notes crossed with a second title.