DescriptionThe ace janitor Roger Wilco thought he'd seen the last of Sludge Vohaul. However, like every evil scientist is supposed to, Vohaul returns with an even meaner scheme. This time he intends to infest the planet Xenon with thousands of genetically engineered door-to-door life insurance salesmen. The last thing he wants is Roger messing things up, and so the brave janitor is captured and brought to the planet Labion to spend the rest of his days working in Vohaul's mines. Fortunately, the shuttle that takes him to the mines crashes, and Roger is the only survivor. He will have to survive the dangers of the jungle planet Labion, and eventually stop Vohaul from executing his mad plan.
Vohaul's Revenge is the sequel to The Sarien Encounter, and the second game in Sierra's humorous Space Quest series of adventure games. The player navigates Roger Wilco around with arrow keys, and interacts with the world by typing commands. Like in the previous game, there are many ways for the player character to die. Much of the gameplay is dedicated to avoiding the many traps and hazards Roger will meet on his way. Some actions must be performed quickly in order to prevent Roger from getting killed.
There are no promo images for this game
- "SQ2" -- Common abbreviated title
- "Space Quest: Chapter Two - Vohaul's Revenge" -- In-game title
- "Space Quest 2" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: Adventure Game Interpreter (AGI)
- Games with included comics
- Physical Bonus Content: Comic
- Space Quest series
|The Games Machine (UK)||Mar, 1988||95 out of 100||95|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Mar 23, 2011||80|
|The DOS Spirit||Dec 10, 2012||4.5 out of 6||75|
|Power Play||Dec, 1988||69 out of 100||69|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||1993||63 out of 100||63|
|Adventure Gamers||Aug 01, 2008||60|
|Aventura y Cía||Apr 28, 2002||20|
There are currently no topics for this game.
AstrochickenThe back of the (original release) box said that Vohaul is "...madder than a drenched Astrochicken". An intriguing phrase to use, as Astro Chicken hadn’t yet been seen in either of the games - it would make it's debut appearance in Space Quest III.
BuckazoidsSpace Quest II is the only Space Quest where you do not use Buckazoids (the Space Quest intergalactic currency).
Character name changeFor some unexplained reason, Sludge Vohaul's name has mysteriously changed from Slash Vohaul in the first game. (It's not really known why - maybe Sierra thought "Slash" could be taken to sound a little rude for a family game?) Either way, it would remain as Sludge Vohaul for the rest of the series.
ExtrasThe box included a comic book named "Space Piston" to acquaint newcomers to Roger Wilco, the ex-janitor which became a hero in Space Quest. In the comic book, Roger Wilco is shown as having blond hair, however in the game he has brown hair. Budget re-releases of the game had a copy of the in-box comic in black and white instead of the colour original (well, it was a *budget* re-release!).
GraphicsWhile it is mentioned on the box that VGA and MCGA are "supported" (they were introduced the same year as this game), they are not "used". The game still used AGI's 16 color low-res mode.
Hidden messageWhen you select About SQ2 from the Sierra menu after you die, you'll get a message that says
We hope you're not looking for someone to blame just because you diedrather than the usual message.
- The game contains allusions to the Larry series. When Roger is caught outside the swamp and thrown into a cage during his unconsciousness he dreams about being a character named Larry and having some incidents with women.
- Sludge Vohual is of course a spoof of Darth Vader from Star Wars, and the monkey guards are a spoof of Planet of the Apes.
- When you're inside Vohaul's asteroid, go to the bathroom on the 4th floor and enter the booth that isn't occupied. Close the door and type:
Among the responses (just repeat the command a couple of times to read them all) the game gives you there's this one referring to the hero from King's Quest:
"Sir Graham Cross Dresses!"
Another one is:
"Ken was here! (So was Al, but we had to repaint afterward.)"
Ken & Al are of course Sierra developers Ken Williams & Al Lowe.
- In the decontamination area (this is where you change your clothes at the start of the game) open your locker. In your locker there are two objects you can take but there's also this joke. Type:
The game will respond with:
Sorry. The used Nancy Reagan autographed "Just Say No" condom had to be removed for the shipping version.
Related Web Sites
- Hints for SQ2 (These questions and answers will help you solve the game without spoiling it for you.)
- "Roger Crawling" screen saver for Windows (Figuring out how to convince the parser that you wanted to hold the glowing orium gem in your mouth was the hard part! Now enjoy the fruits of your labours as Roger kicks in with psychedelically-illuminated wanderings (and a relevant, toggleable MIDI soundtrack) through Labion's caves (including squid!) on your desktop to save your monitor from the anachronistic plague of burn-in. From Chris Geroux, as "ScumSoft".)
- ScummVM (supports the DOS, Macintosh, Amiga and Apple IIgs versions of Space Quest II: Chapter II - Vohaul's Revenge under Windown Linux, Macintosh and other platforms.)
- SpaceQuest.Net - Space Quest 2 (Extremely comprehensive site about Space Quest 2: Basic game information, hints, documentation, downloads and behind the scenes stuff, for example a downloadable PDF manual, scans of the official hint book, easter eggs, fun facts, cancelled stuff etc. etc. etc.)