Narrowly escaping the events of Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
, Roger Wilco's escape pod floats through space. As just another metallic item of junk, it's soon picked up by an interstellar garbage hauler. Waking up in a pile of trash, quite familiar for this janitor-turned-hero, Roger Wilco must somehow escape. Once given access to the rest of the galaxy, he'll soon find himself having to avoid a collections cyborg for payments overdue, dealing with the corporate prison of software company Scummsoft, and having to digest the greasy food from the galaxy's finest hamburger joint. Space Quest 3
is a graphical adventure. The mouse is functional for movement and inventory access, however the game primarily relies on a text parser for specific commands and manipulation of objects on screen. In addition to the regular gameplay, there are also various mini-games, such as a simple non-scrolling arcade game Astro Chicken
, as well as a radar screen representation for ship-to-ship space combat.
- "שודדי החלל של פסטלון :III מסע בחלל" -- Hebrew spelling
- "מסע בחלל III שודדי החלל של פסטלון" -- Hebrew spelling
- "SQ3" -- Common abbreviated / informal title
- "Space Quest III: Die Piraten von Pestulon" -- German title
- "Space Quest 3" -- Short title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
There are currently no topics for this game.
The "Two Guys from Andromeda" (Scott Murphy
and Mark Crowe
) made a special video-appearence in a humorous (and quite a bit silly) Space Quest III
promotion film. The short clip was allegedly recovered in the year 2000, and is now downloadable from several sources on the internet.
The irritatingly awkward Astro Chicken game features a irritatingly catchy, dubbed by fans "the Astro Chicken theme" (imaginative, huh). But this piece of music wasn't actually created for this game; it first appeared in the first Police Quest
game, when someone planted a chicken on Sergeant Dooley's desk.
After winning the Astro Chicken
, you are given a hidden message, written in the Galactic Alphabet. For those of you who can't be bothered to decode it, here's what the message says.
HELP US! WE ARE BEING HELD
CAPTIVE BY SCUMSOFT ON THE
SMALL MOON OF PESTULON. AN
INPENETRABLE FORCE FIELD
SURROUNDS THE MOON. IT MUST
FIRST BE DEACTIVATED. IT'S
ORIGIN IS UNKNOWN TO US.
SCUMSOFT SECURITY IS ARMED
WITH JELLO PISTOLS. WE'RE
COUNTING ON YOU WHOEVER YOU
TWO GUYS IN TROUBLE
When you retrieve the decoder ring and use it to decode the message, one would think that the game would automatically decode it for you.
Very early on in the game, in fact on only the second screen you come to (depending in which direction you walk), there is a piece of metal that, if you try and pick it up, causes you to cut yourself open and bleed to death, without any warning what-so-ever! This classic over-the-top death seemed to be nodded too in the literature to several LucasArts releases, with wording along the lines of "we don't believe you should die every two minutes for merely trying to pick up an object".
The PC version of Space Quest III
features digitized sound effects in the Sound Blaster or Tandy DAC (TL/SL) sound modes. The majority of these sound effects were actually recorded from the Roland MT-32 version (with a few exceptions such as the the brief speech in the opening sequence).
If you eat the "Big Belcher Combo" at Monolith Burger, when you go to leave Roger will come back in, green in the face, and bring it back up.
Before performing this trick, be sure to save your game. Now, this is a neat little thing that I discovered. After you've killed the Terminator, go back into Fester's shop on Phleebut and WEAR HAT after buying it. After leaving his shop, before the computer automatically takes the hat off, begin walking in another direction. By doing this, you're stuck on this screen and can walk anywhere. For instance, attempt to walk off the right side of the screen. Once you disappear, go up and around Mog's foot. You should be able to walk on the sky, through the leg and on the roof of the shop. I'm guessing that this is just a glitch in the game. I've never been able to fix it once it happens.
The terminators in SQ3
come after you for not paying for the Labion Terror Beast Whistle. However, those of us who bought the game when it first came out know that the included coupon specified that the Whistle was free.
The soundtrack for Space Quest III
was composed and arranged by Bob Siebenberg, former drummer for the popular band Supertramp.
This is the first Space Quest
game to make use of digitized speech, although it's only in one small part of the game. During the game's introduction you can hear Roger say "Where I am?"
- When you first arrive to Monolith Burger, the USS Enterprise (from the original series) warps out of there.
- There's a TIE fighter (from Star Wars) in the garbage ship. However, it's been renamed to a bow-tie fighter from the cologne wars (the original movie mentions the Clone Wars).
- Also in the garbage ship, the ship Jupiter 2 is from the old Lost in Space series.
- Fester has a postcard from Arrakis in his shop. Arrakis is the planet from the movie Dune.
- There's a small signature hiding in the introduction sequence. The pic where the droid is monitoring the escape pod - in the right lower corner, there's a signature reading "Crowe" (as in graphic artist, Mark Crowe).
- "Monolith Burger" is also one of the places in Socket City, where you can work and eat, in Sierra's Jones in the Fast Lane.
- Near the start try typing in "put gem in mouth" and you'll get a message that says "That's only helpful in SQ II" In Space Quest II, you needed to put a gem in your mouth in order to get through a certain section in the game.
- The logo for Scum Soft is a spoof of the logo for Strategic Simulations Inc, which was a popular software company back at the time that Space Quest III was released.
Information also contributed by
William Shawn McDonie and
- Computer Gaming World
- October 1989 (Issue #64) – Special Award for Achievement in Sound
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #2 Best Way To Die In Computer Gaming (the own body parts will be sold by a butcher after death)