Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD-ROM) (DOS)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19792)
Written on  :  Jun 10, 2003
Rating  :  4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars

read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

Long Live the Empire! Die Rebel Scum!

The Good

Good thing I bought this one instead of the separate additions of Star Wars: Tie Fighter and Tie Fighter: Defender of the Empire.

Honestly, I'm not that into simulation games like flying and driving, because they usually belong to the arcade realm. Arcade games should stay arcade, computer games should stay computer. But this game is something you definitly cannot play at your local arcade center! Tie Figher is one of the great exceptions in my book! It's not just about flying around and shooting down X-Wings, if that were the case, I'd probably throw it into the trash in no time!

The great things about this game is that it is more of a story-adventure with flying/shooting as a bonus. It describes (to me) with great detail on how 'you' a wet-nose cadet that just joined the Imperial Navy, struggles in trying to be the best damn pilot in the Empire, from training (earning those Gold Medals...I think), promotions for every succesfull campaign and eventually finding ranks in the Inner Circle!

I basically spent half of my time finishing the trainning courses before I ever got to start playing the campaigns (Keyword=Perfectionist)...with a mouse by the way.

Did I mention I used a mouse to play this game! Yes, A MOUSE! So what, you might ask. HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO CHASE AN A-WING HALF ACROSS THE GALAXY WITH A MOUSE??? Only true Imperial Pilots (like myself) can ever succed in such a feat (ehem). I even had to change my mouse pad to a 'large edition' of cosmopolitan magazine as the mouse pad didn't have enough 'rolling ground'. Boy, my arm was whirling that mouse away like it was a toy porche...those A-Wing's are sure fast! Hahahaha. Good thing you can pause for occasional muscle strains.

Should see my record kills...bloody hell destroyed the rebel fleet myself....hahaha. Great game.

The Bad

Maybe I should've played with a joystick... NAH! Only for weaklings! (and Rebel Scum!)

The Bottom Line

One of the best simulations games ever created! After playing this game, you will truly understand the supreme power of the Empire!

For maximum difficulty, disable Joystick feature and use a mouse.