Star Wars: X-Wing (DOS)

Written by  :  Casey Neumiller (5)
Written on  :  Jan 05, 2004
read more reviews by Casey Neumiller

Summary

A Must-Have Classic

The Good

X-Wing remains, of all the X-Wing games made, my favorite. I felt that later in the series, though the AI was given a much-needed upgrade, they lost the true 'feel' of the Rebel starfighters in return for 'balance'.

However, in this, the original, all is preserved. The roar of TIE fighters, the whistle of your faithful R2, and the explosions as a proton torpedo rips an enemy fighter apart.

Few games have spawned as many sequels as X-Wing. In addition, multiple editors for everything from ships to pilots to missions were written by players, allowing us all to fly missions however we liked.

The Bad

Unfortunately, X-Wing has shown its age. Its graphics are dated (though given a good touch-up in the X-Wing 95 version) and, worst of all, has issues with the newest computers. Sound no longer works right, though that can hardly be blamed on LucasArts.

The Bottom Line

All in all, however, this is a classic, must-have addition to any gamers' collection. Perhaps you, too, will see just how addictive (and fun) this game can be.