New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Starflight (DOS)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Feb 06, 2000
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars
read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

Sleepless Nights and Bleary-Eyed Days

The Good

I remember my best friend having this game, and I knew I wanted it. I eventually found it in Newfoundland for 50 Canadian Dollars. I bought it and waited 2 weeks (I was on vacation) to play.

Needless to say, I was awe-struck by the sheer HUGENESS of Starflight. 2 Disks, 800 Planets to explore! It set an standard for story-telling and non-linear gameplay. Game Publishers in this day and age should get copies of the game, and learn from it. You don't need a 90 fps frame rate and a 300+ MB install w/ 128 Meg of RAM to make a fantasic immersing game. Starflight has it all.

The Bad

The Save Game Feature was a pain in the butt. If you crashed or ran out of fuel, and you didn't back up your game file in a long time, you could potentially have a HUGE amount of backtracking to do. Other that that it was excellent.

The Bottom Line

If you enjoy games that take more than 4 days to complete (and that's without cheat codes), and a storyline that will suck you in, and keep you there until the very end: Find Starflight, play it and enjoy it.