Less than 60 games needed to complete our goal of 1,500 documented Arcade titles!

Street Fighter II (DOS)

2.8
Written by  :  Fake Spam (94)
Written on  :  Dec 20, 2006

read more reviews by Fake Spam

Summary

Dragon Punch me into the gutter!

The Good

I'm glad I could buy Capcom's Street Fighter II for my DOS system, if this was still 1992. The graphics are dead-on, and the game doesn't eat too much disk space, but . . .

The Bad

. . . the slowest game of 1992, I'd say. Let's see . . . the Super NES is using the same CPU as an Apple II GS, except it's running at 3.75 MHz or so, has very little RAM (kilobits, mind you), and the game is on a 2 MB cart with extreme compression . . . the average 1992 PC is running a 386 or 486 CPU, either which is 32-bit, and the slowest clock speed is at around, if memory serves me right, I think between 10 and 33 MHz . . . yet the game runs slow. Then the digitized sounds have either a "white noise" or is "tiny", depending on if the card is a SoundBlaster 2.0 or 16. Also, no GravisPad support, and the joypad was at least one year old, no more than two, but was the new joypad standard for PC, Mac, and CD-i. To top it off, keyboard is impossible, and the two buttons used on any joystick or joypad relys on you pressing the button longer to select which "arcade" button is chosen for the moves. This leaves you with, well, a terrible experience topped with the bad sounds.

The Bottom Line

If you see a box at CompUSA or Best Buy that reads "Street Fighter Series" for PC CD-ROM, and it's only like $1.99, avoid it like the plague, a world war, intergalactic invasion and the Wrath of God all rolled into one. This game IS THAT BAD!