Promo: 77% off Star Wars games at GOG, DRM-Free

System Shock (DOS)

Written by  :  Shiek of Geek (27)
Written on  :  Mar 27, 2001
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars

read more reviews by Shiek of Geek

Summary

This game creeped me out!

The Good

Atmosphere... or should I say, atmos-fear... Running around alone in Citadel Station with your only contact with people being the occasional email from Earth and logs of the former inhabitants of the station, you start to feel really paranoid. I don't really like first-person shooters, but this game has everything that I like about gaming in it. It's also customizable so that you can easily get through the aspects of the game that you dislike. I think you must have the CD-Rom version of this game if you want to enjoy it. The graphics are good on the CD-Rom version, instead of fuzzy, and the sound is amazing. SHODAN's voice still echoes in my memory... The gameplay is good, with the ability to lean, jump, crouch, and run. I'm generally not a big fan of first-person shooters, but this one really gets you into the game.

The Bad

Cyberspace. It's uninspired. Luckily for me, I can turn the rating down on this. If there was a better cyberspace interface, I'd have enjoyed it, as it allows you to solve puzzles in some new ways.

The Bottom Line

When I bought this game, it was a used three-pack of games called the Origin pack, which included Wing Commander 3, Bioforge, and System Shock. I didn't know anything about System Shock and just considered it a bonus. I put the game on my computer and tried it (the non CD-enhanced version). I played for about 5 minutes and didn't even get out of the first section... I wasn't impressed. A few months later I tried the CD-Enhanced version, and after about 5 minutes with this version I was hooked. I don't know of any game that's ever gotten me so engrossed within its game world. One of the best games I've ever played.