Ten Nights of Killing and Mayhem at F.J.B. II (DOS)

Ten Nights of Killing and Mayhem at F.J.B. II DOS Title screen

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  Jeff Sinasac (409)
Written on  :  May 27, 2000
Rating  :  2.83 Stars2.83 Stars2.83 Stars2.83 Stars2.83 Stars

read more reviews by Jeff Sinasac

Summary

The only game of its subject matter I know of.

The Good

I am EXTREMELY biased with regards to this game, since I was involved in 95% of its development. (And yet I still only gave it an overall rating of 2.8 out of 5... hmm... go figure...)

The thing I love most about this game is that it is so unique. I know of no other game that has a plot even remotely similar.

Although the artificial intelligence is fairly simple, the enemies do seem to pop out and surround characters at the most inconvenient of times. Simple A.I., but effective A.I.

The teachers are so varied in their abilities that games never play the same twice.

The mechanics work smoothly, and the game is no pushover. It can be beaten, but only by someone who's willing to think.

The game itself, the premise, the documentation, the online docs - everything is wrapped in a lot of humour. What other game actually features "Bull Shit" as a Character statistic? And yet it still has a touch of horror to keep it serious.

The Bad

The game is based around a progression of 10 nights (hence the title). The early nights, unless you are extremely stupid or impatient, present no real threat to the player, but take the longest to play (because the characters are so poorly armed). The real fun of it kicks in, for me, around the 3rd or 4th night. But from that point on, I think the game really grooves.

Until a player becomes familiar with the layout of the school, he'll have to spend a lot of time referencing the maps that come with the game. That can slow things down.

Because there is no way to track a teacher that you've lost a line of sight to, sometimes it can be a painful process tracking down the single teacher left alive at the end of a night.

The Bottom Line

A funny, unique, challenging strategy game.