Solomon's Key for the NES was released in Japan on this day in 1986.

Transylvania (DOS)

3.5
Written by  :  Dave Schenet (130)
Written on  :  Mar 26, 2001

read more reviews by Dave Schenet

Summary

My first computer game!

The Good

Perhaps my review is swayed somewhat by nostalgia - this was the first game I ever played, on my father's Apple //c.

The puzzles in this game (there was one in almost every screen) were well thought-out and logical. The graphics were nothing to write home about, naturally, but were decent for a 1986 game.

All in all, a nice introduction to other works of interactive fiction, such as Zork, and later, the Noun's Quest adventures from Sierra - a springboard, of sorts. The command parser was simplistic, and matched those of early Sierra titles, in its limited "verb noun" syntax.

The Bad

The limits of technology at the time - due to constant disk accesses, the game floppy eventually started going bad before I could complete the game.

The other problem I recall was the same problem I had with every other game of the era - trying to convince the command parser to "do what I mean, not what I say".

The Bottom Line

If you've got a bored child, a computer from the mid 80s, and a time machine so you can actually find this title, it'll keep 'em off the streets for a while.