Tunnels of Armageddon (DOS)

3.4
Written by  :  Mickey Gabel (357)
Written on  :  Jul 20, 2000

read more reviews by Mickey Gabel

Summary

A fun game for killing some time, nothing more.

The Good

Tunnels of Armageddon is one of those fun games which were released in the late eighties, when it was difficult (although not impossible) to coax the PC to do anything complicated. Similar to many of the games released at the same time period, Tunnels of Armageddon requires fast reflexes and nothing else. It uses a nice trick to create the look of flying very fast inside tunnels, but other than that the game really doesn't do anything. It doesn't need to.

Tunnels of Armageddon is all about sitting in front of the computer for 15 minutes, trying and honing your reflexes to perfection. The game starts easy, but gets increasingly difficult, and you must have exceedingly fast reflexes to finish it (I once tried for two weeks to finish the game, and so far, I haven't succeeded).

The Bad

The title music is unimaginative, and the sound effects are terrible. The game uses an Adlib card, and I can't help but thinking that with a little extra effort, they could have been much better.

The Bottom Line

Tunnels of Armageddon is fun to play yet difficult to master. A perfect mix if you have a few minutes and nothing to do. But you will get tired of it after half an hour, so if you want serious gaming - go somewhere else, like Skyroads.