Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (DOS)

Written by  :  Toadstool (50)
Written on  :  Jun 19, 2000
read more reviews by Toadstool

Summary

An Engaging 3-D RPG!

The Good

Before Ultima Underworld, I'd played a few 3-D games but never thought the quality was very high. That all changed when Ultima Underworld came out!

The game was very polished compared to other 3D games at the time. Your character could run, jump and completely interract with the environment. The atmosphere created by the graphics and music was absolutely intense. I was completely drawn into the game as I scampered around the dark labyrinth.

The Bad

Unfortunately, when you dropped an item you actually wound up throwing it. This was no problem if there was a wall in front of you. The item would simply bounce off the wall so that you could pick it up again. However, if there was water in front of you - then an important or critical item could be lost for good. This is exactly what happened to me as accidentally lost an item and was prevented from finishing the game. Very upsetting when you've invested a load of time into the game.

The Bottom Line

The first 3-D game that truly allowed me to escape. The only 3-D game that has done that since has been Half-Life.