DescriptionThe Valley is a graphical roguelike RPG with a simple interface and semi-real-time combat system. The background story is all but non-existent, suffice to say that you're the hero and you want to explore the name-providing Valley to slay monsters and find treasure.
Character creation is fairly quick -- enter your name and choose one of five classes (Warrior, Wizard, Cleric, Barbarian and the not-so-common Thinker), differing by their magic and fighting abilities. After that, you're ready to explore the Valley and its contents. You start out at a one of two castles, where you can rest and save your game. The road between the castles is safe, but every other place is teeming with monsters, magic places (upgrading or downgrading your stats) and, of course, treasure. The valley also contains a multi-level tower as well as some swamps and forests, which feature some other dungeons.
The game is played in a turn-based manner, except fighting, which is timed delay. You only have half a second or so to enter your next move. You can attack the monster's head, body or legs, or you can cast one of three magic spells. Of course, some monsters can do the same to you. Finally, you may sometimes surprise a monster, getting a free attack or the choice to retreat (which is not possible in a normal fight).
Each level is randomly generated at the beginning of the game. The game provides a saving mechanism with ten possible save games.
- "Dalen" -- Norwegian C64 version title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
The Press Says
There are no rankings for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaThe game first appeared around 1981 as BASIC listing for the Commodore PET in the British Computing Today magazine. The magazine's publisher Argus Press released home computer versions shortly after, and there also were some unofficial versions, so that the game was available on an unusually wide array of platforms: There were several versions for the ZX Spectrum and C-64 (including a Norwegian version called Dalen for the latter!), as well as versions fot PET, TRS-80, BBC Model B, Oric-1 and Sharp MZ80K.
Related Web Sites
- Dalen (Norwegian Valley version) @ GB64.com (Technical info and screenshots for the Norwegian C-64 release, with download link.)
- The valley - a classic reborn (Homepage of the 2001 DOS remake by its author Paul Robson, including historical information and download.)
- The Valley, Argus Press release @ GB64.com (Technical info and screenshots for the Argus Press C-64 release, with download link.)
- The Valley, Guild Adventure release @ GB64.com (Technical info and screenshots for the Guild Adventure C-64 release, with download link. )
- The Valley @ WorldOfSpectrum.org (Technical info and screenshots for the Argus Press Spectrum ZX release, with download.)