Veil of Darkness (DOS)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19699)
Written on  :  May 09, 2003

read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

A rare and original Horror RPG from SSI...

The Good

Well this would be my first horror theme game and luckly it was made by my favorite company (then) as well as my favorite genre. You didn't get much RPG's with a true horror theme then...you still don't me thinks (I don't consider Diablo a horror theme).

Well, this game was more an Adventure puzzle-solving game that it was an RPG. It's it's almost like Gabriel Knight that fights with a sword. Basically the game to me is beautiful. Unlike most games, this game comes with a 'hint' storyline, which helps you show what to do next rather than think yourself to death like most puzzle-solving adventure games.

The game has a rather peculiar storyline actually, if not the same as Arcanum in the beginning. You have a crash landing in some Rumanian town and the local's think you're part of some prophecy which will help end the regime of a local Vampire Lord.

This would also be the one of few adventure-type games I've noticed that has fighting. The graphics is very familiar to Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, etc. The only other game I recall with a similar concept was Hero's Quest. Anyways this game kinda looks like the grandfather of Diablo one way or the other...

The Bad

Hmm...the story line was kinda lame. Well it's not bad, it just uh...kinda dry. Guess what you have to do in the end? Yup, kill the Vampire lord. Not much mystery there, although the in-between quests are kinda neat. Especially one where you have to transform a tree into a guy by burning him or something like that.

Other than that, I recall having no regrets in playing it as it was kinda fun. I do remember feeling a sense of triumph after finishing the game...so it was worth the buy.

The Bottom Line

A rare classic game for both horror and RPG lovers.