How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Wing Commander Academy (DOS)

2.5
Written by  :  Jeff Sinasac (315)
Written on  :  May 28, 2000
read more reviews by Jeff Sinasac

Summary

Great idea, flawed realization.

The Good

As Trixter mentioned in his review, this game allows a player to design his own Wing Commander missions. A dream come true for me, since I had designed a Wing Commander board game complete with campaign play and mission generators and wanted see how it would revert back to computer simulation.

The Bad

Bottom line, it couldn't. I don't mind the lack of multi-player support - I think one of the great things about a computer is that it lets you play alone when your friends are unavailable. But what I hated was the following: you couldn't design the limitless missions they promised. You could set up dogfights between just about any set of fighters you wanted, and could make attacks against certain, limited Kilrathi capital ships. But what about escort missions? Or defending your own capitals? The only "ship" supplied for you to defend is a Terran Space Station. I believe the full range of ships was left out to prevent the player from being able to design complete campaigns, and thus negating the need to buy future Wing Commander products.

The Bottom Line

If you want to design Wing Commander missions, this game CAN do that. But it can't do it well, or with the versatility that one might expect.