Wing Commander: Privateer (DOS)

Written by  :  Shiek of Geek (27)
Written on  :  Mar 28, 2001
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Shiek of Geek

Summary

I'll slow roast your (g)uts!

The Good

It's fun to be a mercenary on the frontier of Terran space! You have the freedom to play this game whatever way that you like, whether you want to go pirate and attack helpless merchants, or perhaps you want to be a noble and peaceful merchant... it's up to you. You start in a dinky little ship without very good shields or firepower, so you get a great feeling of accomplishment when you finally get your new ship. It's a blast to insult your enemies while killing them, too, and I do this every chance that I get. Another plus is the huge variety of items that you can transport... everything from grain to slaves, provided you find the right base.

The Bad

There are a couple of things that could have been better... 1st, this game can get very, very hard. Also, if you ever use one of the cheat options during one of the game missions, you fail it and screw up the game. (So have backup copies of your game!) The last thing is that I wish there had been more ships available. It takes a long time before you can afford a ship, and then you might as well save your money for the Centurion... the best ship in the game if you want to beat it.

The Bottom Line

This is one of my favorite games in my collection.... and someday I'm going to beat it! But until then, it's still fun to play... and I think that's why this game is so well liked.