Wolf (DOS)

Written by  :  WWWWolf (422)
Written on  :  Nov 11, 2005

read more reviews by WWWWolf

Summary

Wolfiest of the wolf games!

The Good

From just game-fan's point of view: What we have here is a kind of an unusual simulation. You don't see games like this too often. Animal simulation! What a concept!

And it's fairly well-done too. Rather nice graphics for the day, and very nice and cute music too. The game has a quite interesting, realistic, and nicely working atmosphere.

Playability had been worked fairly nicely, with a good job at making logical mouse and keyboard controls.

I also like the interactive wolf encyclopedia part. Interesting and fun and cute at times.

The Bad

When the wolves died. =(

And, of course, some facts related to the fact that this is a life simulator: Real life, simulated or not, can get boring at times. But that's generally why we're allowed to save game and try something else for a chance.

The Bottom Line

This is a wolf's life with all of its joys and griefs. Certainly no walk in the park compared to human lives.

Here we see the wolves run around, hunt, eat and drink, dodge traps and hunters, mate*, feed those cute little pups, howl, meet other wolves of the pack, fight for their rank in the wolf pack, travel, and, well, live. All done in a nice simulation / RPG way.

There's a mission mode with pretty clear details, and a free-play mode. The mission mode also has cute video clips when you win (which are longer on the CD-ROM version). And, it has an encyclopedia part too.

Graphics are nice, some based on photographs. Definitely something fun for wolf fans!

* For some reason, this has to be mentioned in every review of this game. At least it seemed so back in the day when this game came out. Happy now? =) Never worry though, it doesn't get too detailed in this respect.