Wolfenstein 3D (DOS)

Mature
Written by  :  Zovni (9384)
Written on  :  Oct 16, 2002
Rating  :  2.75 Stars2.75 Stars2.75 Stars2.75 Stars2.75 Stars

read more reviews by Zovni

Summary

Eat it Adolf!

The Good

A revolution in gameplay and graphics, there really isn't much I can add to what everybody already knows about Wolf 3D. It is a fantastic action classic that grounded the rules and spawned the most popular pc gaming genre ever. Not bad for a little shareware game, huh?

The storyline is inconsequential, just shoot your way through more Nazis than you can shake a stick at, and get to that fabled elevator to take you to freedom! (well, the next level actually) Your help? 4 weapons and tons of ammo! Go get some!!!

Ultraviolent (well, for it's time), action-packed, with a graphics engine that was da bomb, and incredible music and sfx (achtung!!) Wolf set the foundations for what we all know and love nowadays. Now get down on your knees and show some respect!!

The Bad

Well as much a revolution as it caused, it still couldn't shake off some arcadey details that I really didn't enjoy at it's time. You had "lives", you had point-scoring items, etc, etc. And I really, REALLY hate mazes, of which Wolf 3D has more than enough.

The Bottom Line

There are no ways to describe what Wolf was and is to the gaming industry, people were disgusted (shooting nazis=good, shooting dogs=Eeew!!), people were getting motion sickness, people were losing sleep because of it, etc. etc. It changed everything!!! But above all Wolf proved that the pc was more than competent when it came to handling fast paced action games, delivering even more excitement than a console or any other platform had ever done. Now lock and load pal, it's butt-kicking time.