🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > X-COM: UFO Defense > Uh, shouldn't the title be UFO: Enemy Unknown...?

Simoneer (29) on 10/3/2010 3:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That's not just the "European title"; it's the original title. It was re-released under the names X-COM: UFO Defense in the States and X-COM: Enemy Unknown in Europe. It should be listed under its original name.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I really think X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Enemy Unknown should be listed as AKAs, not its first title.

Alaka (106097) on 10/3/2010 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

The rule is U.S. title trumps all other titles. If we went by original title, we'd have a database full of Japanese titles for alot of entries.

Simoneer (29) on 10/3/2010 3:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, but wasn't it the original AND international title?

I also think this rule is unnecessary as long as the title is in English. I understand if you don't want Japanese, French, Russian or German titles.

Alaka (106097) on 10/3/2010 4:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Simoneer wrote--]Yeah, but wasn't it the original AND international title? [/Q --end Simoneer wrote--]

If you have a U.S. cover proving this, then you'd have a case for a title change.

[Q --start Simoneer wrote--] I also think this rule is unnecessary as long as the title is in English. I understand if you don't want Japanese, French, Russian or German titles. [/Q --end Simoneer wrote--]

Yeah, sometimes I don't 100% understand the wisdom in some of the policies here either. I'm guessing it just keeps the site looking more uniform in nature. If there's any question of what title gets added, it goes U.S.>U.K.>Germany-rest of Europe-etc... Just easier this way, I guess.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/4/2010 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Just easier this way, I guess. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] More or less. I prefer to think that the Americans are xenophobic. That thought keeps me all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Though we have discussed this frequently. One day we hope that the sequence will be Original Title > English Title > Non-English Title

vedder (70802) on 10/4/2010 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Although I like what Indra just said better, IMDB's current system is also an option.

It uses International release names, but if you register you can set in your profile that you want the original names (which is what I do).

Simoneer (29) on 10/4/2010 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

That system would be great.

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/8/2010 12:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep, great that would be indeed. But I believe that would require extensive refactoring of the current title vs. a.k.a. system. At least that a smart update algorithm would be needed if you don't want to put up with a gazillion of single corrections for existing names.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 10/8/2010 4:49 PM · Permalink · Report

There's also an issue of game titles being used in game descriptions. Using the American/original name is the current standard, and having the game's name change to suit user preferences could be confusing.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/8/2010 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, while we're at it, is it possible that the first two UFO's aren't available at GOG? Or am I just so thick I can't find them? Anyone knows what the hell is that about?