User review spotlight: Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (DOS)

Xargon (DOS)

Published by
Developed by
Released
Platform
MobyRank
100 point score based on reviews from various critics.
MobyScore
5 point score based on user ratings.
Forum Search  
View Mode: threaded | watch thread

Did you play/like this game?

Brandon Lade (4) on Feb 20, 2012

It's actually freeware now, according to Wikipedia. Anyways, I think it's possibly the most overlooked PC game of the 2D shooting genre. I really love it myself, way more than Jill (which preceeded it and is way more popular apparently).

Re: Did you play/like this game?

Pseudo_Intellectual (44700) on Feb 20, 2012

The only thing you need to do to compare their popularity is compare their vine-climbing animations.

Brandon Lade (4) on Feb 20, 2012

Small things like that are pretty minor in the context of the whole game.

leilei (282) on Feb 20, 2012

Ok, their crouch animations

There's also an unintentional goof where the laser shoots from, that could contribute to this overlooking for the audience's insecurity, since a white crotch laser shooting out with a squirt noise has strong homoerotic undertones about it, this is unlike a red knife coming out of Jill's left hand

(Edited by leilei (282), Feb 20, 2012)

Brandon Lade (4) on Feb 21, 2012

Seems like everyone's taking pot shots at flaws that aren't really flaws or are extremely negligible...I for one think the different standard bullet is an IMPROVEMENT because it isn't limited by a finite traveling distance. Not to mention it's easier to aim.

And episodes 2 and 3 of Jill had a flaw I find *almost* unforgivable (*almost* because I still have fun with the game): Allowing Jill infinite deaths and losing NO progress as a cost of respawning, other than being put back to the starting room. Oddly the first Jill doesn't have this, apparently.

Maybe "Did you like this game?" threads just aren't in good taste here, I don't know.

Zeppin (8355) on Feb 21, 2012

Brandon Lade Wrote:
Maybe "Did you like this game?" threads just aren't in good taste here, I don't know.

It does look like the reaction to the game has been pretty unfavorable. Maybe I'll give it a try in DOSbox and get back to you. I'm at least fond of the period, which is a start. = )

Pseudo_Intellectual (44700) on Feb 21, 2012

They're both decent, if unremarkable, games that distinguished themselves with the technology of their era in what were then popular genres. Jill has only persevered due to the Tomb Raider factor. I don't mean to dismiss the gameplay as immaterial, but her niche in history is primarily on account of being a freely-distributed cheesecake mascot appealing to pre-pubescent boys who didn't fully understand why they found her so compelling.

Me, I liked the character transformation, a taste that the BBC game Imogen drilled into me years earlier.