DOS versionThe DOS version of the game starts up with the in-game music turned off as default. The PC speaker version of the song, coupled with the sound effects of the game, would drive anyone to madness. While the game did support Adlib, the sound effects masked the Bomb the Bass tune playing in the background. The other versions of the game has music turned on as default.
EndingSPOILER WARNING! Don’t read this item if you want to play through the game by yourself.
Xenon 2: Megablast is infamous for having one of the most disappointing ending sequences of all time. No artwork, no animation, no storyline, not even a congratulation -- after a strenuous battle with hundreds of enemies, you’re “rewarded” with the already well-known shop screen and a sarcastic comment. After that, a white dot. Then the main menu.
MusicThe theme tune is Megablast by Bomb the Bass. This was released in the UK ca. 1988 on the album Into the Dragon. It is a reworking of the theme from the John Carpenter movie Assault on Precinct 13.
More details can be found at Discogs.com or at kompaktkiste.de.
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Action Game in 1989
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Graphics in 1989
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1990 - Included in the list 50 Games of the Year
- May 1990 (Issue #10) - Included in the list "ST Format's 30 Kick-Ass Classics"
- Issue 01/1991 - Best shoot-'em-up in 1990
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Stuart Wynne)