Forums > Game Forums > Dragon Age: Origins > Just got this game ...

Jeanne (75956) on 1/23/2010 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

It just arrived in the mail today (bought new US version for Windows).

I know in -some- games you can make mistakes in the very beginning. Is there anything I should/shouldn't do during the first parts of the game?

Any other advice?

PolloDiablo (16853) on 1/25/2010 10:49 AM · Permalink · Report

The game isn't that unforgiving. I'd recommend playing through all six Origins stories (each will take about an hour and a half) first. It helps you decide which type of gameplay you like best (tank or ranged, mage or rogue, etc) and gives you lots of interesting information on background stories of companions and events in the game. Also, make sure you talk with everyone to get more sidequests. :) Enjoy!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/25/2010 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

No particular advice here. Just go with the flow, Your choices will matter, stay true to yourself. As for combat, the game does behave somewhat erratically with some being extremely easy on medium and hard and others nearly impossible on easy.

Just keep your party well-rounded and remember that mages rule supreme, so you might want to take your time and experiment with spells and their combinations.

Indra was here (20756) on 2/22/2010 6:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St. Martyne wrote--]Your choices will matter, stay true to yourself. [/Q --end St. Martyne wrote--] So I'm playing a mage and found myself in an odd predicament.

It seems that the coercion skill only is available to the leader. However, it requires cunning or strength. Both it seems are useless for mages unless there's something I'm not aware of.

BTW. Lockpicking. What lockpicking?

Only finished the Wilds quest, thinking about restarting.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 2/23/2010 6:55 AM · Permalink · Report

BTW. Lockpicking. What lockpicking?

Opening those locked chests. If you don't invest points in this, most of the higher-level chests will be impossible to open.

Indra was here (20756) on 2/27/2010 6:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]BTW. Lockpicking. What lockpicking?

Opening those locked chests. If you don't invest points in this, most of the higher-level chests will be impossible to open. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Gawd this game is unbalanced. Why they don't give you a rogue as a party member near the beginning of the game is beyond me. Why bother putting locked chests around when there isn't a rogue to open them?

Thus far, seriously annoyed. Then again, I am playing impossible difficulty. And it is impossibly annoying. :p

Jeanne (75956) on 1/26/2010 4:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks to both of you for the great advice. I'm currently playing Two Worlds, but hope to start Dragon Age: Origins very soon.

My favorite type of character is a warrior/mage .. mostly fighting in combination with magic.