D-2 (Dreamcast)

Written by  :  Sonic Terminator2 (3)
Written on  :  Dec 25, 2002

read more reviews by Sonic Terminator2

Summary

Sheer god damn genius!

The Good

I have only played the Japanese version as I the English version was greatly censored. I loved the mature attitude which remains consistent through out the game and is the first game in recent memory to contain full frontal nudity, the last I can think of being is Dreamweb released way back in '94. The selection of weapons is spot on though the hand gun isn't found until late in the game and feels useless when your used to using a fully auto weapon through out.

The Bad

Too much walking until mid disc 3 (the games on four discs, so yeah, you get your moneys worth.) when you finally get a snow mobile and it all becomes faster and easier to find your way round the enormous map.

The Bottom Line

D2 is like no other game you will ever play, it's survival horror but is nothing like Resident Evil or Silent Hill. It's a first person shooter, but it's nothing like half-life or Doom, it's a third person roamer yet is nothing like tomb raider. D2 is something else entirely and I urge anyone who gets the chance to play to do so as it will stay with you forever, strong characters, strong storyline, taxing puzzles and genuinely terrifying moments. now go get a Japanese Dreamcast!