Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast)

Written by  :  Classic Nigel (150)
Written on  :  Sep 03, 2006
Platform  :  Dreamcast

read more reviews by Classic Nigel

Summary

Jet Set Radio, Radio!

The Good

Jet Grind Radio is a wonderfully original game lets list what the many things is the first to do first to use Cel Shading, first to have a game about Spraying Graffiti and one of the first games to have licensed music. In the game you play as a gang called the GG’S which compete with other gangs like the Poison Jam from the city of dusk, Noise Tanks from the city of the night, and your gang is from the city of the day in a futuristic Tokyo where it is illegal for youths to express themselves the game begins when a newcomer gang hits you’re home turf and you have to get it back and in no surprise the cops try to stop you at first its just beat cops then slowly escalates to dogs, SWAT, Paratroopers, helicopters, and tanks. Once you take a territory you have to do a sort of “battle” in which you spray the backs of the gang members sort of silly which brings another point to mind I’ve seen reviews trashing this game one of their complaints being its too overblown but that is intentional to parody how overblown other Japanese entertainment can get. The music is one of the best game soundtracks ever except for Super Brother and you’ll hear a song end and it gets mixed with the beginning of the next song like a real DJ would do Perfection.

The Bad

Now the Bad the camera can be sloppy and the controls take some getting used to specially the spraying technique of course now I have mastered it playing it since it first came out and have beaten it about 100 times now I can get a jet rating on every level.

The Bottom Line

Overall I think the good out weighs the bad this is my favorite Dreamcast game and favorite game of all time.