Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)

Written by  :  laemus (13)
Written on  :  Dec 03, 2003
Platform  :  Dreamcast

read more reviews by laemus

Summary

Sonic Team US, you have a lot to answer for.

The Good

Graphically, it's still gorgeous in places, especially in terms of texture-mapping, which the DC has always excelled at. The Sonic/Shadow levels are a blast, though not as good as SA1's were.

The Bad

Well, everything else, really.

What first hit me was how utterly dire the music was. They've taken some of the greatest tunes from the original SA, remixed them, and destroyed them. Honestly, some of this stuff made me want to chop off my friggin' ears. Don't get me started on the rap crap...

The characters are next on my hit-list. Why in god's name have they expanded upon the worst elements of SA1? Sure, there's 6 characters, but since they all behave identically to their good/evil counterparts, it's basically 3.

As I said earlier, the Sonic/Shadow levels are fantastic in places, so what about Eggman/Tails & Rouge/Knuckles? Seriously, SEGA, I'm asking you, what about these horrible, horrible things? What possessed you to wedge crap into this game? The Eggman/Tails levels are an expansion of the E-102 (sp?) levels from SA1, which were short but fun. Here, they're just slow and hideous, with some truly yawn-worthy moments. They involve robots. big, hulking robots, something Tails looks really awkward in. Now, guess what the Knuckles/Rouge levels are based on? Yup, those horrible "find the jewel in the enormous level with only a really crappy sonar thing to help you" levels from SA1. Terrible. Truly awful beyond belief.

The Bottom Line

A sure-fire disappointment in your Sonic-loving life.