Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)

Written by  :  MasterMegid (897)
Written on  :  Sep 02, 2006
Platform  :  Dreamcast
Rating  :  2.33 Stars2.33 Stars2.33 Stars2.33 Stars2.33 Stars

read more reviews by MasterMegid

Summary

Sonic Adventure Without The Adventure, I Am Just As Confused As You

The Good

Two Years after the release of Sonic Adventure, Sega hit Dreamcast gamers with Sonic Adventure 2. SOA 2 drops the adventure mode, why?

In Sonic Adventure 2, a black hedgehog Shadow, has been causing trouble leaving Sonic to be blamed, a armed group known as G.U.N., is gunning for the blue blur. Meanwhile Dr. Robotnik, aka Eggman, is up to know good, he wants to abduct Shadow, and use him against our favorite hedgehog.

The plot is not very well done. But more on that later. New to the franchise, is the ability to play as the villains. Dr. Robotnik, Shadow, and Rouge. This is a good idea, but it ultimately fails.

The Graphics are much improved over the original game. And better show off the Dreamcast’s power. The camera angles are better but far from perfect.

The Music is horrible. Who wrote these lyrics? The Eagles? The Sound effects are done well however.

The Adventure mode is gone. Now it plays more like the Sonics on old. Basically you play a level, watch a cutscene and than play the next often as a different character. You can no longer choose which character you wish to play as. And each one has a shorter game.

The Bad

The plot is bad. It is so clichéd. I mean an evil Sonic come on. What is this a poorly written cartoon? Plus the G.U.N. plot point is never resolved. And how the hell do the mix up Shadow and Sonic? Shadow is black, while Sonic is blue. Are they color blind?

Late in the game we learn about Shadow’s origin. Which is horribly written. We learn that Shadow was created to protect the human race, and somehow the jackass thinks he is meant to destroy it. WTF? And why is he like Sonic?

Playing as the bad guys is a good idea on paper, but in action not so much. There games play exactly like the games of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. They are not very satisfying either. I have waited years to play as Dr. Robotnik, but Sonic Team blew it. Sega Of America did not develop this contrary to what you may have heard.

The music is atrocious. Sonic Team needs to either learn how to write lyrics or fire the writer. This game just feels rushed. And unpolished. Sega probably rushed it out to have a game for Sonic’s 10th anniversary. But what did they do for the 10th anniversary for Phantasy Star? Or that of Streets of Rage?

The Bottom Line

Very poor effort from Sonic Team. Play Sonic Adventure and skip this one. It pains me to see such a weak Sonic game.