BotsAccording to 3D Realms, Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition is notable as being the first first-person shooter to include bots (AI controlled, human-like opponents).
References: MiscIn the "Duke Burger" Level, in the fourth episode, there is graffiti on the bathroom wall, that says "TRAB PU KCIP". Look in the mirror, and it will read "PICK UP BART". This is a nod to The Simpsons episode Brother From Another Planet.
References: Mission ImpossibleThe entire first level is a homage to the movie Mission Impossible. Here are some of the more obvious references.
- The title ("It's Impossible!")
- The music playing in the background.
- Going to the desk and using the tape deck in the first room will cause the famous message "this tape will self destruct in..." to play. (Note: get out of the way fast, as the tape makes good on its promise)
- In the briefing room, there is a coat hanger with a hat and cane on it which says "STEED"
- The puzzle where you have to enter a code without touching the ground.
- In the same room as the above puzzle, there is a garbage bin with greenish slime in it. In the movie, the computer operator gets drugged and ends up vomiting in a similar garbage bin.
Source code releaseAfter many years of requests from fans, 3D Realms released the source code for Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (v1.5) on April 1, 2003. More information on where you can download it can be found on 3D Realms website: http://www.3drealms.com
Information also contributed by Maw, MasterMegid and Xantheous