🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Entrepreneur > and OS/2 is live?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/14/2014 4:14 AM · Permalink · Report

hats off!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/14/2014 4:29 AM · Permalink · Report

If anyone wants to run with it, there's a pile to chew on at http://kimludvigsen.dk/os2/os2/games/index.php

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/14/2014 4:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I've submitted some low-hanging fruit (thank you, NetHack), but I'm curious if anyone has any advice for conducting more thorough investigations into this platform's software. I always figured I'd need to set up an old box and get a copy of the OS and even if so, have no idea if it has a way to get screenshots out. Is there a virtualization solution for documenting these?

Rwolf (22823) on 6/14/2014 8:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't used OS/2 since it was new, but it seems you can use it under MS Virtual PC. Whether that allows screenshots to be taken, I can't say, never tried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#Virtualization

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/15/2014 12:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Exciting! For virtualization, there's no reason I can think of why you couldn't just use your favorite virtual machine to do it.

Hmm. I've got a lovely boxed copy of OS/2 2.0 sitting on my shelf, but it's on 3.5" floppies. I've got two computers in this room, but the new one doesn't have a floppy controller, and the old one is an Apple IIe... I've neatly avoided the era in computing that can handle that operating system. I suppose there are always disk images.

Later: Can't install OS/2 2.0 on VMware. Maybe a different VM would work better. I'll try a more modern version of OS/2, later.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/15/2014 4:26 PM · Permalink · Report

At length, I coaxed OS/2 4.52 into installing on VMware (hint: reboot a few times after partitioning the hard drive). Submitted Connect Four (four22.zip) from the list Pseudo_Intellectual helpfully provided.

Do we have any idea roughly how many OS/2 games there are? UVL lists 385, OS2World lists a fair number, and Hobbes has I-don't-know-how-many. Anyone else know any good resources?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/15/2014 8:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations, you are on the leading edge of a very very narrow field of researchers.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 7/6/2014 5:36 PM · Permalink · Report

All right, an out-of-town friend delivered his stack of 25 floppies to install the OS. One obstacle down, surely several more yet to get in my way!

Kabushi (261204) on 6/15/2014 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Let me know if there are any tech specs that you need to have added. I think a lot of them should be same as DOS/Windows so should be easy to add.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/16/2014 2:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

For a start, I'd say we need:

1. Minimum OS Class Required
    • OS/2 2.0
  2. Number of Players: Offline
    • 1 Player
    • 1-2 Players
  3. Media Type
    • 3.5" Floppy Disk
    • CD-ROM
    • Download
  4. Input Devices Supported
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
  5. Multiplayer Options
    • Hot Seat
  6. Multiplayer Game Modes
    • Free-for-all / One-on-one

And if you want to fill in some of those with other likely candidates (e.g. other multiplayer modes) on the assumption that some other games I haven't yet checked will need them, that would probably be useful, too. These are the ones I need for the games I'm looking at, though.

Kabushi (261204) on 6/17/2014 3:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I got them all covered. If you need more, just put note in the submission.