is an online RPG which is set in a futuristic galaxy. The main focus of the game is open-ended space travel including combat, territorial control, trade and politics. In the beginning of the game, you create your character, choosing one of the available empires and races (EVE has no classes, anyone can learn any skill), and customizing the way the character looks. Then you are given a space ship, allowing you to begin exploring the game world. One of your main goals in the game is to upgrade your ship in order to be able to defeat space pirates and other players. Most items in the galaxy are player-made, and there is a robust economy. By obtaining money from mining, exterminating NPCs, or cunning market trading, you may also increase your character's skills (for example, Mining, Survey, Refining, Drone operation, weapons skills, and more). Unlike most other RPGs, leveling up does not depend on the amount of foes you have defeated, but requires you to train for a certain period of time, dependent on your stats. Training continues even while logged off.
- "星战前夜" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "EVE: The Second Genesis" -- Alternate title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
1001 Video Games
appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
by General Editor Tony Mott.
An update deployed on 5th December 2007 with premium graphics content managed to overwrite the base boot.ini file of Windows system, ruining the entire operating system. One day later the development team released an update to correct the issue.
None of the original development team had worked in the gaming industry before starting on EVE Online
Logged in users
repeatedly broke its own record of concurrent accounts logged on to one server in a MMO Game. As of January 2008, it stands at 45,186.
Since 2005, EVE Online
boasts its own official print magazine called EON. Sold via the official website the magazine is published every three months.
Information also contributed by
- 2003 – Best Graphics of the Year (PC)
Related Web Sites
- An Introduction to Eve Online (IMG feature guide intended for beginning players and those interested in the game.)
- As the Solar Systems Turn (An Apple Games article, archived on the author's website, about the Macintosh version of EVE Online. The article provides a descriptive overview of the game with commentary from the game's Producer, Lína Ingvarsdóttir, in addition to an introduction to the races and background of the world of EVE, recommendations for other games the player might enjoy, and general system information (November, 2007).)
- EVE Online (Official Web Site)
- Mac Gamer Interview (The Mac Gamer interviews Associate Producer Arend Stührmann about the development and release of the Macintosh version of EVE Online (July 7th, 2008).)
- NZMac Review (A (largely) unscored review of the Macintosh version of the game by NZMac, a New Zealand Apple site (Jan. 15, 2010).)