Forums > Game Forums > Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon > Third time's the charm?

vedder (70787) on 6/23/2010 9:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I want to like this game. But thus far I haven't been able to. Even though I really liked the first part and with more story and variety this sequel sounds to be the perfect sequel.

The problem however is that I never got passed the first dungeon. I started the game twice and gave up within the hour twice. And this is not because of the game's archaic interface (I mean, why I have to pick up every single piece of ammunition I use and have to replace them in different inventory slots that aren't accessible with a single mouseclick, is beyond me...)

No the real problem is the interface is just plain broken. There's no way in hell I'll be able to learn to play this game with only the mouse. The combat is too fast pace to click on both movement buttons and attack buttons at the same time. Now the keyboard controls are in theory perfect for movement. If they worked that is...

In Eye of the Beholder my Numpad 9 key would for some reason not register about 10% of the time. This was quite annoying as that key makes the characters turn right. Which is ratehr a vital key in the game, as you can imagine.

Now in Eye of the Beholder II my Numpad 9 key would for (probably the same) reason not register 90% of the time. And this happens: a) in DOSbox b) In Windows' own DOS emulation thingamabob c) With USB keyboards d) With PS2 keyboards

Now "Page Up" is also turn right. And with that key I get 100% responsiveness. But that's like playing Half-Life 2 with WASD for strafing only D is replaced with Backspace. It just won't frickin' work.

Is there anything I can do to make this game playable? Like alter the controls? Fix the darn game?

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/23/2010 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Now "Page Up" is also turn right. And with that key I get 100% responsiveness.

Try remapping your numpad 9 to pgup (I'm assuming that just turning off numlock isn't fixing it)? I'm fairly sure that CTRL+F1 opens up the key-remapping-thing in dosbox, so you should be able to set up whatever controls you like that way.

vedder (70787) on 6/24/2010 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah thanks, I didn't know that was possible. I'll definitely try that out when I get home from work!

vedder (70787) on 6/24/2010 11:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Apparently my game was just bugged. I downloaded it from a different source and now it works fine. Weird.

vedder (70787) on 6/25/2010 11:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm now at the point where I gave up last time, which is the farthest I ever got. But again I'm prone to give up in spite of the controls working now. Theres these skelletons which take about 20 hits before they die and have an insanely low thaco so I barely ever hit them.

I tried cheating my way past by hex-editing my save game to set all my characters stats to 30 and give them a million billion hitpoints and the lowest possible thaco, but I still get raped by these skeletons. I've tried everything, but I just can't defeat them. What am I doing wrong?

And then I watch some youtube playthrough and they kill the skeletons in three hits. What? How the hell do they do that?